GoNYC At a Glance

Are You More Boston or More NYC?

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a lifelong New Yorker. Like many New Yorkers, I love going to Boston for a weekend. I like its smaller scale and walkability, its seafood, North End Italian food, great local beer, and all that American history (plus, the Children’s Museum is stellar). Heck, I even like classic Fenway Park (don’t tell my NY friends, though).

Big Apples or Bakes Beans?

Of course, New Yorkers and Bostonians are supposed to be fierce rivals, especially when it comes to sports (they still haven’t forgiven us for Babe Ruth). And heck, we can’t even agree on clam chowder (or “chowda”). So just for ha-has, this week I’m running the results of a survey that CityPass conducted of Bean Town and Big Apple journalists about their hometowns.

The survey found that Bostonians views their city as a collegial, down-to-earth destination that never takes itself too seriously. New Yorkers take pride in their crowded, bustling hub of culture and arts. We believe we have more sophistication than we know what to do with.

How The Cities Stack Up:

Here is what the journalists surveyed think tourists need to know about their towns. Which one appeals to your family more?

Boston v NYC

boston v NYC tourist

boston v NYC taxis

boston v NYC food

Boston V NYC sports

#wkendtravelinspirationThis blog is part of Weekend Travel Inspiration. Visit our partners:

• AlbomAdventures
• ContentedTraveller
• TheCrowdedPlanet
• Malaysian Meanders
• ReflectionsOnRoute
• Safari254

Loading InLinkz ...
Share Button

How To Do a Nordic Cruise With Preschoolers

MOMtravelchat: Best Tips For Travel with Tots

1. August 5, 2015 at 12:04 am

I’m more of a Boston gal. I know I could never see myself living in NYC but do like an occasional visit. We’re visiting Boston next month so looking forward to that trip. Great infographic!

2. July 26, 2015 at 9:55 pm

New York reminds me more of “home” which is Cape Town South Africa, it’s funny though, I spend more time in Boston when I visit the States. It may be just because I want a taste of something completely different when I visit. It’s not that NYC doesn’t have absolutely amazing things to see, it’s mostly that it’s a totally different feeling in the air from place to place.

3. July 19, 2015 at 8:27 am

great info graphic! I grew up in NY but we love Boston as well. We summer on the Cape because we prefer it to the Hamptons. Having zero interest in sports I guess helps since that’s a major cause of rivalry.

• eileen g
      July 20, 2015 at 11:18 am

Yes, Cape is definitely more beach, less attitude that the Hamptons. And once you are over the bridge there’s more room for people to spread out.

4. July 19, 2015 at 2:27 am

I could probably live in Boston for a much longer time than I could NYC. I love both, but I do appreciate a slower pace for most of my time. The city concrete can get to me after awhile.

Happy #wkendtravelinspiration.

• eileen g
      July 20, 2015 at 11:15 am

i can understand that! All the good stuff a city has to offer without the enormous scale.

5. July 18, 2015 at 10:29 pm

We’ve visited both NYC and Boston and had a fabulous, but very different time, in both. Yes, that Boston Children’s Museum is probably one of the best that we’ve ever been to. I hope my kids haven’t outgrown it by the time we return next summer for my cousin’s wedding. I could definitely return to NYC again and do completely different things, there’s so much to do. Overall, both cities are tied for me as a good destination. The only place where there’s a clear winner is the Clam Chowder category with the creamy New England version taking the win.

• eileen g
      July 20, 2015 at 11:17 am

The upside is that when they outgrow the Children’s Museum they are probably old enough to start absorbing all the great historical stuff on the freedom trail!

6. July 18, 2015 at 4:36 am

I am born a Chicago girl so I don’t really fit into either Boston or New York. After living in New Zealand for the last 12 years, I don’t think I would choose either of cities (or Chicago) to live in, but as a tourist, I loved them both. Possibly New York more than Boston. Fun post.

• eileen g
      July 20, 2015 at 11:19 am

I’ve had too very brief sojourns in Chicago and feel like i need to get to know that city a little better — beyond Geno’s and the Art Institute (which is a fantastic museum).

7. July 18, 2015 at 4:24 am

Interesting…

8. July 18, 2015 at 4:12 am

When you set it out like this I just wan to be able to pull bits of each to make the perfect city.j

9. July 18, 2015 at 2:23 am

As we are visiting both of these cities later in the year, I enjoyed looking at the comparisons. I am thinking I will be a New York type of gal.

• eileen g
      July 20, 2015 at 11:20 am

I knew i liked you Paula. 😉

10. July 18, 2015 at 1:25 am

I’ve been to NYC and loved it and Boston is on my “next time” list. The way you describe it, it is zipping to the top of that list. I live in Townsville Australia and we have a supposed rivalry with Cairns four hours north by car. I however quite like Cairns 🙂

• eileen g
      July 20, 2015 at 11:22 am

I can imagine that coming from Australia you would like Boston’s vibe. it has that Big-town friendliness and down to earth vibe that I would expect to find in your cities.

11. July 18, 2015 at 12:34 am

I have never visited either city. New York City has always been on my must-visit travel list, but over the past couple of years I have been hearing and reading more about Boston, and I’m now intrigued enough to put this city on my list too!

12. […] and “Weekend Travel Inspiration” thanks to Families Go. […]

13. July 17, 2015 at 6:36 pm

That’s a really interesting info-graphic! I’ve only been to Boston once and NYC many times, so hard to really compare. I think they’re both great towns. I loved all the history in Boston, but the people watching in NYC is amazing. Not to mention the shopping 🙂

14. July 17, 2015 at 5:41 pm

If every Australian visited New York twice, it’s still less than their yearly tourist intake…that’s sort of blows my mind….

• eileen g
      July 20, 2015 at 11:23 am

Yes, now i know we new yorkers feel like tourists are everywhere. They are!

15. July 17, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Definitely left my heart in New York. The food, neighborhoods, cultural options and ease of getting around make it my favorite. Will however have to spend more time in Boston to be fair!