GoSoCal At a Glance

Enjoying The Art of Legoland With a Kid

Visiting Legoland? Read all about Southern California.

We’re not huge theme park people. So, while Tiny Traveler does like playing with her dad’s big box of old Legos now and again, we weren’t sure what we would make of Legoland, a place that seems created for people who really love both Legos and theme parks. But we were traveling in Southern California with a CityPass* card, which includes a one-day admission to this park, so we checked it out (Find out more and check CityPass prices).

Baby You Can Drive My Car

My daughter rode a few rides and even had a few favorites–in particular, one where kids drive their own cars around a scaled down street with stop lights and traffic signs.  But we mostly spent the day walking around the park looking for Lego statues.

The engineers at Lego use the same blocks you and I do to build large, complicated and whimsical creations.  Are they art? That’s arguable. It’s certainly creative and fun. Here were some of our favorites.

What would you build if you had this many Legos?

• This statue in the Legoland Hotel restaurant is simultaneously silly and impressive for how complex it is.

Cooking up fun at Legoland

• Do you think that what happens in Lego Vegas stays in Lego Vegas? And is Lego Wayne Newton performing in one of the hotels?

Legoland Las Vegas

• From a distance you really believe you could follow those stairs to a Lego Underground station.

A subway station at legoland

• We like the Lego fruit and drinks here; these pirates have a very balanced diet. Look out for the guy with the machete, though. I think he wants the last cupcake.

pirates at Legoland

• When I looked at his camera screen, there was a small Lego photo of the girl. I love that attention to detail.

paparazzo at Legoland

• This was one of my favorites; mariachis are just fun.

Mariachis at Legoland

• I like this one, too, and wonder how they built the Lego painting.

A painter at Legoland

•  The ’70s kid in me got a big kick out of the section of Miniland dedicated to the first Star Wars trilogy. Lego Millennium Falcon? Cool!

Star Wars at Legoland Miniland

• I got a kick out of the Giraffe bursting through the roof; it reminds of Dino on the Flintstones. My daughter liked the one bursting through the window.

giraffes bursting through a roof at Legoland

• So, who is this fur ball? And do I really have to stand next to him?

Legoland Chewbaca• I like to think this is Lego’s tribute to Jimmy Buffet. And it was a good reminder that it was time to head back to the hotel for a swim and a cocktail.a guy made on a porch at Legoland

Pin it for later!

Legoland "art" is the best part of the park

* We were guests of CityPass for this trip. We did not guarantee any particular coverage of CityPass or the attractions on its pass in exchange and our opinions are always our own.

#wkendtravelinspirationThis blog is part of Weekend Travel Inspiration. Visit our partners:

• AlbomAdventures
• ContentedTraveller
• TheCrowdedPlanet
• Malaysian Meanders
• ReflectionsOnRoute
• Safari254

Loading InLinkz ...

Road Trip Down the Oregon Coast With Kids

A Concierge's Best Family Holiday Travel Tips

1. November 25, 2015 at 9:15 am — Reply

We have yet to be here, we get the chance to go in New York City whenever the option arises – there’s a Lego store there that is pretty massive but it’s just not the same and the kids have been riding us to go here for a very long time. When you think of the sheer skill that must go into creating these… I am sure they have developed a program that will tell them how to build the perfect whatever it is they want to build, how many blocks it will take and where to place them, but it’s still a ton of work and quite impressive.

• November 26, 2015 at 9:08 am — Reply

They do have to plan out what they want to build. They build a normal size version first and then they scale up. They don’t use any special bricks that consumers don’t have though, which is interesting and a challenge!

2. November 15, 2015 at 4:19 pm — Reply

We live near Legoland and it’s been a joy to see these statues pop up over the years. I’m glad you and your daughter enjoyed them. It really is amazing what they could do with Legos. The holiday decorations are great too. Miniland is my favorite place to visit here.

3. November 14, 2015 at 3:06 am — Reply

While I’m not a theme park person, I certainly love Legos. So much fun!

4. November 10, 2015 at 12:23 pm — Reply

Being a LEGO Masterbuilder, the folks that put together these cool statues, must be the ultimate dream job for a lot of kids. I taking the time to examine the details as they’re often humorous. We found a LEGO person sitting on a LEGO toilet in a LEGO bathroom in the New York section of Miniland. It’s also interesting how they tailor Miniland for what part of the world the park is in. The California one is all about America, but the Malaysia LEGOland focused on Asian landmarks.

• November 11, 2015 at 3:52 pm — Reply

that makes sense. I think i would like the Malaysia one!

5. November 10, 2015 at 3:14 am — Reply

The Lego statues are super detailed! All I know how to do is stack blocks. The park looks like a lovely place to visit for the young and young at heart.

6. November 7, 2015 at 10:23 pm — Reply

I am not a fan of theme parks either. But, have to admit this particular park is very interesting. I just think of all the plans and creativity involved to create all those Lego figures. I would love to see those.

• November 11, 2015 at 3:51 pm — Reply

it’s in your neck of the woods., too!

7. November 7, 2015 at 9:27 am — Reply

This is great! My husband likes Lego really much:)) # weekend travel inspiration

8. November 7, 2015 at 12:31 am — Reply

They are clever and obviously take some time to do. I don’t think I would have the patience.

• November 7, 2015 at 9:08 am — Reply

I can see that. for some folks though, it’s heaven.

9. November 6, 2015 at 9:39 pm — Reply

I think my son would imagine this to be the ultimate in jobs. Building Lego statues.

• November 7, 2015 at 9:09 am — Reply

Someone at Legoland told us how you can apply for that job. I think you start online. They get a lot of folks who are good at math and good at design.

10. November 6, 2015 at 4:05 pm — Reply

I love the lego industry- That painting is a Turner, isn’t it? They’re so clever. We have Brickmaster opening soon – definitely going to see that!