FeaturedPLANNING

At A Glance: Family Cruise Vacations

Cruise vacations are a great fit for many families. Cruise vacations are handy for a lot of families. The convenience and high level of service make it easy to get away with a toddler or preschooler, the kids clubs are great if you have an only child or just need some grown-up time. They also offer some freedom to teens with peace of mind for their parents. And cruises offer the variety and flexibility you need when you take a multi-generation vacation. Everyone from grandpa down to the youngest kids will find something they like to do and eat. And they can also do nothing at all if they prefer. Families can go their own way for part of the day, then reunite for meals or afternoon pool time.  Sailing days and port days provide a good balance of activity and relaxation.

The major cruse lines look similar from the outside—and they are similar in many ways—but they try hard to differentiate themselves with their unique partnerships, restaurants and kids-club themes. They definitely try to one up each other with their activities, shows and water attractions. There is a cruise line for everyone, and some brand or individual ships will suit your family’s ages, interests and travel style more than others.  Here is all of our best advice on cruise vacations with kids.

What additional advice would you like to see?

Family Cruise Vacations

Pin it for later!

Our At-A-Glance Guides offer all our best tips, advice and insights on a topic in one easy place. Here is a roundup of our best information on family cruise vacations.

#wkendtravelinspirationThis blog is part of Weekend Travel Inspiration. Visit our partners:

Loading InLinkz ...

The Best Cruise Ideas for Families

Family Cruise Vacation Packing List

1. April 27, 2017 at 9:09 am — Reply

Forgot to mention: Thanks for linking up with #TheWeeklyPostcard! 🙂

2. April 27, 2017 at 9:08 am — Reply

We were not sure our teen would take to cruising, but she LOVED it! We’ve done a couple of family cruises now, and they are just about her favorite vacations. In fact, we’re all feeling the itch to take another one!

3. April 26, 2017 at 12:54 pm — Reply

I’ve never been on a cruise, but I would love to try one someday! There’s one that goes from California to Mexico that I’ve been thinking about. It’s only a few days so that seems like a good way to see if we like it or not.

4. April 25, 2017 at 1:34 am — Reply

We’ve done a Disney cruise for our last 3 Spring Breaks. I’m not sure what the plan is for next year as my oldest will have aged out of the Teen Club that he loves so much. I was thinking of switching to one of those megaships by Royal Caribbean in hopes that the numerous onboard activities would distract him from the lack of have a cool club to hang out in. My concern with my teens and the more affordable cruiselines during Spring Break is that they may fall in with the hard partying college crowd… causing me to have to supervise him more. I figure the college kids can’t afford the pricey ones as much.

5. April 25, 2017 at 1:28 am — Reply

We’re looking into a cruise as we speak! Seems perfect for a family. x

6. April 24, 2017 at 12:25 pm — Reply

found you from the blog hop. i have cruises on my radar, I loved cruising before kids and I know my little ones would love this!

7. April 22, 2017 at 3:41 pm — Reply

I’ve never taken a cruise before as I’m not a cruise person and afraid I may get claustrophobic, however I know they’re great for families – as you’ve shown – and may just have to bite the bullet! My father of all people wants to do the Disney cruise next year, so we’ll see…#theweeklypostcard

• April 22, 2017 at 3:51 pm — Reply

how do you know if you’re a cruise person if you’ve never taken one? 😉 state rooms are small but you are mostly up on deck where you won’t get claustrophobic. Don’t be afraid of Disney Cruises. They have a lot of child-free fans and I’ve heard they have plenty of adult-only spaces on their ships.

8. April 22, 2017 at 10:31 am — Reply

I’ve only done one family cruise to the Caribbean and it was pretty cool. Wouldn’t mind doing more, but just hate that you only get a few hours in port. It’s not enough time to truly explore a place! Thanks for linking up with #TheWeeklyPostcard!

• April 22, 2017 at 3:52 pm — Reply

Many but not all cruises are like that. on the NYC-Bermuda cruise we did, we had one port and stayed for 3 days/2 nights. if you hunt around i think you can find more like that.

9. Anisa
    April 22, 2017 at 7:53 am — Reply

I don’t have any kids, but I love cruises. They are so great for groups because there is something for everyone and you can do as much or as little as you like. Thanks for sharing on #TheWeeklyPostcard.

• April 22, 2017 at 3:53 pm — Reply

agree. they are great for groups or multi-generations.

10. April 22, 2017 at 3:31 am — Reply

I have taken several multi-generational cruises and each family had a completely different vacation. All good, just different. I also take cruises to see areas that can be difficult to reach or expensive. Cruising the Panama canal and cruising by glaciers in Alaska are two of my favorite cruises.

• April 22, 2017 at 3:54 pm — Reply

i agree cruising is a great way to see destinations where food and lodging are expensive. I’d love to d a Nordic cruise for this reason. and i understand that on the Alaska cruises the ships can go places that cars can’t.