Know

20 Easy Staycation Ideas For Families

take a walk in the woods on your staycationThere’s always one week of summer where everyone is home from camp and work but we aren’t going away. We need things to do so that we feel like we’re really on vacation, and so we don’t spend the week organizing closets, answering email, and watching Annie on an endless Netflix loop. With help from my Facebook friends, here are 20 ways to make sure your staycation really feels like a vacation.

1. Hire a cleaning service mid-week. Don’t think about cleaning otherwise.

2. Take a day trip. Check something off your bucket list.

a margarita makes a staycation feel more grown-up3. Take a hike. A long walk in a woodsy park qualifies.

4. Go to the beach—even if it’s not hot.

5. Go to the Movies! Even better, make it 3-D. Better still, make it IMax, which is like a two-hour getaway.

6. Camp in the backyard (or the living room). Tent, sleeping bags, flashlights, ghost stories and all.

7. Armchair travel: Pick a different country for a day: Eat food, plan crafts, activities and events, and listen to music from that country.

staycation means brunch8. Play tourist in your hometown. Fill in the sentence “I’ve always wanted to…” Then go do it!

9. Plan a date night. A staycation should include a vacation from parenting.

ice cream is essential on a staycation10. Stock the bar: Nothing says vacation like margaritas in the blender.

11. Cook out! You need food to go with those margs!

12. Eat dessert every day! Eat ice cream twice a day

13. Go on a picnic.

14. Say three words— breakfast for dinner!—watch the kids go nuts.

15. Eat breakfast at a diner. Scrambled eggs and pancakes are better when someone else cooks and does the dishes. Better still, have brunch! And yes, order the mimosa.

pajama day is a great staycation activity16. Nap! You’ll need to after that mimosa.

17. Unplug. Follow the same rules for checking in that you would if you were actually away.

18. Stay up late. Have a Family Game Night!  sleep in.

19. Have a pajama day.

20. Take lots of photos; make an album. Better yet, let the kids make one.

Pin it for later

20 great staycation ideas for every family

#wkendtravelinspirationThis blog is part of Weekend Travel Inspiration. Visit our partners:

• AlbomAdventures
• ContentedTraveller
• TheCrowdedPlanet
• Malaysian Meanders
• ReflectionsOnRoute
• Safari254

Loading InLinkz ...

Sampling Charleston With a Child Along

How To Do a Nordic Cruise With Preschoolers

1. July 15, 2015 at 12:47 am — Reply

Midweek cleaning service. Gold. Other suggestions good too but none trumps the cleaning service. (as I type this I am procrastinating some housekeeping by perusing blogs)

• July 15, 2015 at 1:47 pm — Reply

Glad we are inspiring so much avoidance of domestic chores! no one’s last words were ever “I wish I’d vacuumed more.”

2. July 13, 2015 at 11:12 pm — Reply

This is a fantastic list!! Especially the part about the cleaning service 😉

3. July 13, 2015 at 1:49 pm — Reply

I know lots of people hate the term or concept of staycations, but I love them! Great tips!

• July 13, 2015 at 11:35 pm — Reply

They are a necessity once you have kids. Can’t travel for every break/vacation day, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a vacation frame of mind!

4. July 13, 2015 at 10:10 am — Reply

Such great ideas. I love how you can do these no matter where you live.

5. July 12, 2015 at 11:33 am — Reply

Eileen, Great list! I love pampering myself when I’m home.

Yay! #wkendtravelinspiration team!

• July 13, 2015 at 11:35 pm — Reply

Yes! facials and at-home mani-pedis. I’m all over it.

6. July 11, 2015 at 8:24 pm — Reply

I love this! My favorite is picking a country for the day. How fun!

7. July 11, 2015 at 7:16 pm — Reply

Great ideas!! We love staycations!! It would definitely be fun for the kids and a great time of family bonding!!

8. July 11, 2015 at 6:58 pm — Reply

Popping over from the Weekend Travel Inspiration link. I posted about staycation many moons ago. It’s a wonderful idea, and I’ve actually done it a couple of times. The one thing I didn’t do was to hire a cleaner. I’ll add it to my list! 🙂

9. July 11, 2015 at 6:01 pm — Reply

I like your ideas! However, I’m wondering if I’m living a vacation lifestyle as I often take naps and eat dessert daily — sometimes twice. That last suggestion, letting the kids make a photo album, is my favorite one.

• July 13, 2015 at 11:36 pm — Reply

I think you have the right approach to life.

10. July 11, 2015 at 7:30 am — Reply

Great ideas, although I wouldn’t eat dessert every day on any vacation, especially if I were already eating ice cream – twice. And, as we are a homeschool family, we have pajama days far too often. 🙂

• July 13, 2015 at 11:37 pm — Reply

That was mostly for the kiddos. though i know plenty of parents who would be happy to join in. And why not? I’d rather have margaritas twice a day, but alas I rarely do.

11. July 11, 2015 at 4:04 am — Reply

Great article, I am also doing a staycation post for couples and also started off with hiring a cleaning service because who wants to come back to a mess and ruin the entire staycation.

12. July 10, 2015 at 3:59 pm — Reply

These are great ideas, even if you don’t have kids. #14 is a great one – pancakes for dinner. Can’t beat that!

• July 13, 2015 at 11:38 pm — Reply

There is something incredibly indulgent about it.